Friday, August 15, 2008

Training and Awareness

I've been working and training and training and working. Not much else. I can't really remember what has transpired in the last few weeks. I'm hoping some things will come back as I'm blogging now. The only thing I have that may jog a few memories is my calendar. Gotta go grab it, be right back.....

The last time I really blogged was July 16 about our anniversary and I got lots of great comments that gave me warm, fuzzy feelings. Thanks to all our dear friends! I rely on those around me more than I care to admit sometimes. Most of you don't get to see my grumpy side. Poor Chris! Oh don't get me wrong, he has one too that only I have the privilege of witnessing. for better or worse. Right? Absolutely! We are in this for the long haul and the good far outweighs the bad in the grand scheme of things.

So here I am in this hotel room in Arkadelphia while Chris and Brent are out driving the course. After the Kansas 1/2 I reassesed my training and I think I am more prepared for tomorrow. I know in the long run I will keep fine tuning things and I will perform better at the next and the next and the next... It's all about improving and keeping an open mind. Your training may go great. Then on the day of the event you may feel like you've been tied to the bumper of a beat up truck and drug down a dirt road for 30 miles. Many of my friends have recently blogged about the importance of the journey and the friendships made overshadowing the actual event. I
echo this. It's just another training day, after all. Right?
Chris and Brent came back and we went to join the Bus Driver, Bethany, JCon and Michelle at the Cracker Barrel for dinner. Not many places in Arkadelphia to fine dine in, but the breakfast food is really good. Collectively we had biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, pancakes, grits and hamsteak. Oh and a good dose of chocolate milk. We laughed a lot and talked a little smack. Everyone seemed relaxed and at that very moment all was right with the world.
So what's been going on leading up to this? Well, swimming twice a week in the pool. When I swim in the pool, it's purely for technique. We've had a couple of open water training swims here at Lake DeGray and I feel pretty comfortable at this point. Really, I just want to get through the swim. Which is how a lot of triathletes feel. Other than the swimming, I've been running, doing P90X, running bleachers, line drills, riding, bricking and I think that's about it.
As for working, I recently became certified in endurance fitness training. It basically means that I can train people outside the gym and get paid for it. Well, I had my first two experiences doing that and it was a blast! One was taking a 12 and 14 year old brother and sister to the football stadium and had them running bleachers and doing some other things out on the field. They are gearing up for soccer season and their mother thought they needed some extra push. The other training was a PT client of mine that loves cycling, but her husband doesn't have the patience to ride with her and help her. She asked me to meet her and do some interval training with her. On my way out to meet her I realized, "I'm getting paid to ride my bike! How awesome is that?". After the training I thought, "Wow! At this very moment my life is headed in the direction I want it to go.". I usually don't realize that something like that has happened until, well, it's happened. Not usually while it's taking shape. Hmmm, maybe with age really does come wisdom...
I believe we all have a destiny, but how we get there is up to us! More tomorrow after the 1/2 Ironman.

No comments: