Thursday, February 26, 2009

The pleasure of pain

Today started out great! I had my class and it went smoothly. Chris even came back! I felt good and had good energy. My 6:30 appt. showed up and it just went downhill. She has a friend who is battling cancer that I blogged about just recently...well, she is really having a tough time trying to hold it together. She is also having a rough go of it at work. She came in this morning all glassy and red-eyed. Definitely not her norm! She doesn't usually take medication, but last night she needed it. She was not her usual perky, smiling self and it made me very sad.

Then while I was training her I heard my 7:30 leaving a message, but I was unable to understand what she had said. I finished up with my first client and listened to the message. She had gotten a call from a relative on her way to the gym that her cousin had died in a car accident the night before. She would not be working out. Again, this made me sad.

Then it seems like everyone has the intestinal yuckies or the snotty head. I just couldn't get out of the funk today.

Until I went for my run. This was my last "big" run before the 1/2 marathon on March 15th. It started out a little sluggish, but I soon hit my groove and I forgot my day and previous mood. Having that physical outlet...well, there's nothing quite like it. Just to feel the rush of endorphins and your heart just beating all to hell. The pain reminds you that your alive and you start to crave that pain. Just to be out there and doing something and feeling every bit of it. I wouldn't have it any other way. How did I ever survive without it?

Today's run:

Warm up 30 minutes building to mid zone 2.
Then do 20 minutes in high zone 2.
Then do 20 minutes building to zone 3.
Last 5 minutes cool down.

No comments: