Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Word for the day...Insanity

Today was a recovery day and my body was ready for it. I used to resent recovery days, but now I look forward to them. I'll be ready to get going again tomorrow!

I had a former client send me an email telling me that she is really feeling frustrated about not experiencing any change in her body no matter what she does. After 3 months and not reaching her goal, she backs off of the intensity. In the email she mentioned the word repeat and cycle in the same sentence. So this is what I had to "say" to her:

You are not alone in your frustration. A lot of people are lost on what to do when what they are doing isn't working. So they repeat the same pattern over and over. It's completely normal and we've ALL been there. It can make you completely insane. Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It's doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result or outcome. We continue on the same path when we know in our heart of hearts we are going to end up in the same situation. In my opinion a lot of people are subconsciously afraid to truly succeed because the risk of failure is greater. So to avoid failure we never quite reach success. We often think, "What's the point? I'm going to fall flat on my face anyway!". Yup, you might, but you probably won't! If you do, it isn't a failure - it's experience and a lesson learned. No one likes being in a rut, but we are constantly doing it to ourselves because it is just easier that way.

A lot of people will choose the easy way. I think that's what sets athletes apart from the rest of society. We are constantly looking for the next challenging situation to prove ourselves to, well...ourselves - for the most part. Sometimes we are elbowed and nudged into doing things by a buddy for some friendly competition. But usually we are in it to push ourselves and see if we can get to the next level past our current limits. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose! No matter what the outcome, you know you had to do it. You had to try. You know you can NEVER stop trying and pushing because you may as well stop breathing if that happens!

So the next time you doubt yourself, just get over it and try harder!

No comments: