Saturday, February 28, 2009


It was a pretty productive day - YAY! Got up at 5:30 to eat and get swimming by 7:00:

30 - 40 minutes today worth of drills - YAY!
Do them as 4 x 75 (50 drill, 25 swim ) resting as needed after each.
Choose FOUR drills to focus on the entire time.
You can also add in a few steady 300s after working on a particular drill.

It actually was about 7:20 when I got in the water. Got my swim done and I had brought my cold weather running gear with me so I could just run from the gym:

Run 45 - 50 minutes today. Along the way throw in a few of these drills:
1 - skipping where you push off your forefoot & drive knee forward
2 - sideways 'gallop' to work on strengthening the lateral plane
3 - butt kicks working on contracting the hamstrings towards the glutes.
Do 20 seconds of each drill, throw them in throughout the run & don't overdo it.

So I was going to suck it up and run in the 30 something feeling temp. I just sort of rinsed the chlorine off and put some lotion on. I was already psyched up and when I walked outside it was misting. I promptly talked myself out of running from the gym. What if it really started raining? I decided that if it had stopped any sort of precipitation when I got home, I would run outside for 30 minutes. Heck, I was already dressed for it. I get home and I'm just about to go do my run and it starts raining for real. Treadmill intervals it is, then! 30 minutes worth on a treadmill is about all I can stand, maybe 45 if I really have to, but at 1 hour I just want to slit my wrists! It's hard doing treadmill training. It kind of gives me shin splints because the belt is forcing you to keep up with it. If you don't you will suffer the consequence of belt burn on your face accompanied by a goose egg on the ol' noggin. Believe me, people will ask what it is on your face; you can't just wear a ninja mask all the time to cover that up. Anyway... WOW! Was I ever schwetty when I dismounted. I felt pretty good. Unfortunately my "runner's high" only lasts for about 30 minutes.

Time enough to shower and get to Saturn for the oil change appointment. Chris met me there so I wouldn't have to sit and listen to this really obnoxious women discuss her plethora of health issues with a poor lad that I'm sure she didn't even know. It was a constant flow - I don't know if she even took a breath. She shot me a look of "how dare you interrupt me" when I got notice of a text message on my cell phone. So when her phone rang I looked at her like "how dare you stop your riveting one-sided conversation". I don't think she even saw it!

Got back to Little Rock and went to the grocery store to get stuff for my dad's birthday. We had everyone over and I think we all had a good time! Although we had to lock the cats away from my younger nephew. We call him Reidzilla. He's like a little linebacker and will physically move you out of his way! My little niece Avery, on the other hand, was glad that the cats were locked up. Graham my older nephew doesn't really care one way or the other, just DO NOT touch his chicken nuggets or you will never hear the end of it. We did get a pretty snow this afternoon and evening. Just sort of dusted the yards. Hopefully this will be it for that silly winter weather. I'm supposed to do a 2 hr. and 30 min. ride tomorrow and I ain't doin' it on the trainer! I may look like a circus bear with my 15 layers, but it will be done outside. I only hope I will have some other fools out there to keep me company!

See you tomorrow!

No comments: